I have a long list of races that I want to complete. Certain times that I want to run the marathon and half-marathon in. Distances I want to run.
Yet, I have never told them to anyone - including my husband, family and closest friends.
Why have I not shared these lifetime goals with anyone?
I think the answer is that I am scared of failing and not living up to the expectations I create if they are said aloud. If I don’t say them, then I’m not accountable to anyone. And if I don’t meet them, I could easily convince myself I never was serious about them – so I didn’t actual fail.
On this morning’s run, I realized I can’t go through life worried that I may not reach a certain goal. I’ll never reach them if I don’t at least try.
Saying my goals aloud not only makes them real, but it will gain me support from friends and family. For me, having support is necessary - whether it’s a call or text from a friend, a reply on a blog, my mom watching my son so I can go on a 3 hour run, or my husband rearranging his work schedule for the day so he can run with me the last few miles of a long run. But how can I expect support in reaching my goals if nobody knows what I’m after?
So with that said, here is what I want to achieve at some point in my life :
- Win the Foot Locker Five Borough Challenge (Nov 6, 2011)
- Marathon: 3:10
- Half-Marathon: 1:30
- Complete 50k, 50m and 100m ultras (First official 60k – Nov 19, 2011)
- Participate in and finish Ironman (Signed up for NY Ironman – Aug 11, 2012)
- Participate in and finish Western States Endurance Event and BadWater Ultra
- Complete all 5 Major Marathons (2 are completed: NYC and Boston)
What are your goals??