I officially started meal planning this week. It was a loooooong time coming.
It came on the heels of several weeks where my husband, 1 year-old son, and I had the same 5-6 things over and over again.
I was in a cooking rut – my desire to cook was non-existent and as a result, we had pasta, grilled chicken or take-out more times than I would like to admit the last few weeks.
After reading a few great healthy cooking / lifestyle blogs and seeing how delicious the food they were cooking sounded – and looked – I decided to start menu-planning and try out some of the recipes. (Sweet Tooth Sweet Life, Peas and Crayons, Meals and Miles, and Victoria Runs, are only a few of the many I have found.)
9 Benefits of Menu Planning:
1. Save money on unused food that gets thrown away
2. Save money on last minute trips to the local deli
3. Save money by ordering-out less
4. Add variety to meals
5. Eliminate the daily spike in stress levels (around 3pm) due to: What are we having for dinner?
6. Maintain a healthy and well-balanced diet
7. Give my family something to look forward to each day
8. More order in my life (dinner is ready and on the table at the same time each night)
9. Expand my 1-year old son’s palette
My goal is to plan FIVE dinners each week. I will be leaving one night open for leftovers and the other night as a toss-up (we may decide to order, go out to eat, or go over my mom’s for dinner). Not every dinner has to be something new (or a gourmet meal) – but I’d like to try to cook at least TWO new meals each week.
In order to keep myself honest, motivated, and on track with this plan, I will be blogging each Monday about what I cooked last week as well as sneak peek of what I have planned for the following week. If there is an fun, interesting or extra yummy recipe that I found, I will share it with you!
Do you meal plan?
Any good recipes you want to share?
I got the idea of blogging about what I ate from Peas and Crayons website – she hosts a What I Ate Wednesday weekly forum where readers post everything they ate for one day of the week! I LOVE this but decided to tailor her idea a bit since I am focused on spicing up dinner (at the moment)!!!