If you are not already familiar with this, here are the rules:
1. Post these rules.
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself (Jen’s said 12, but Katye tagged me first so I’m going with those rules).
3. Answer the questions set for you in their post.
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
5. Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them.
6. No stuff in the tagging section about you are tagged if you are reading this. You legitimately have to tag 11 people.
11 Random Things About Me
1. I was initially not accepted to West Point for medical reasons. I have a slight heart murmur and the medical board was concerned about my safety and ability to perform the physical tasks. I had to go to several cardiologists and take boatloads of tests (including running on a treadmill with monitors on my chest) to prove that the heart murmur had little to no effect on my physical abilities.
2. I do not drink any type of “juice” (orange, apple, fruit, etc) and haven’t since as long as I can remember – which is strange since I love all of those fruits!
3. I graduated from the US Army Airborne School (I am officially a paratrooper!) in 2002.
4. My 3 best friends are my sisters – Lauren, Danielle, and Nicole. A sister’s bond is like no other in the world. They are my biggest supporters, confidants, and competitors. I try to talk to each of them every single day. 5. I used to smoke. It was a bad habit that began in high school and then started again when I was in the Army and deployed to Iraq.
6. I keep my power gels in my sports bra when I am on long runs.
7. I was a vegetarian for over 3 years and didn’t eat red meat for close to 6. I started eating red meat again when I was pregnant with my son – I had the strongest cravings for it!! I felt that it was my body’s way of telling me that it needed something for my son’s benefit. And I’m still eating it to this day (he’s over a year old!)
8. My husband and I had a very small, intimate wedding ceremony in Central Park. It was our parents, siblings (and their families), my grandmother, two aunts, and a few close friends. We then went out to eat at a restaurant in Little Italy that my mom used to go to (she was born and raised in Little Italy).
9. I have a very small butterfly tattoo and used to have my belly button pierced.
10. The first race I ever signed up for was the Philadelphia Marathon in 2002. I was a senior at West Point and decided to sign up 3 months before the race in order to focus on running. Despite not doing any run longer than 16 miles, I ran a 3:54:02!
11. I hate the cold weather. I would rather run in 100 degree weather any day of the week!
Questions from Katye:
- If you absolutely had to change your first and middle name, what would you change them to? My first and middle name is Michele Lynn. I would love to change it to Taylor Grace (spoiler alert -> this may end up being my child’s name if I have a daughter!!)
- If you could just drop all responsibilities for a week with not negative outcomes, what would you do with that week? Run, Read, and Write
- What pattern best fits your personality and why? Animal? Stripes? Dots? Plaid? Paisley? Stripes. I think it seems the most orderly and I tend to be super OCD with things!
- If you could take up any career for a month, what would you pick? I would love to see what it would be like to be an elite runner – to not have any other responsibilities except run and become stronger!
- Trendy or timeless? Timeless
- Are there any brands (can be any kind of brand) that you just can’t live without? Several. Ann Taylor, JCrew, Saucony
- If you could create your own endurance event, what would it be? Staten Island Marathon in early October. The course would be an out and back on Hylan Blvd (goes from one end of the island to the other)
- If you are running out the door and can only tag one bag with you for the day, what would it be? Gym bag? Purse? Mommy Bag? Brief case? Mommy Bag! I have forgotten what it is like to carry a purse! Everything fits in my Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag!!
- What was one article of clothing from your childhood that you distinctly remember and what makes it so memorable? My baby blanket. I still have it despite the ragged condition it is in! And I still keep it on my bed – it’s comforting to know that it is “there”. I even took it to Iraq with me!
- What’s your bedroom look like? Do you love it or would you change it up? Well right now, we are temporarily living in my cousin’s apartment. When we move (hopefully in the next month or so), we will have a pretty big bedroom and will be purchasing a new bedroom set! The bedroom furniture is old (I’ve had it since 2003) and inexpensive. I love the bedding though – yellow and beiges!
- Just for the hell of it, what Chinese Zodiac year were you born in? Google it if you must ; ) Rooster!
Questions from Jen:
- What’s the first thing you do when you come home at the end of the day? Nothing! I am a stay at home mom!
- What’s your favorite season and could you live without the other three? My favorite season is the spring. I love the warm air that arrives and knowing that summer, sun, and hot weather is on its way! I could definitely live w/o winter! I hate the cold!
- Who inspires you? My mom. She was a stay at home, single mom with 4 young daughters. Despite not having a lot of money growing up, we were always well-dressed, we ate well, and our home was filled with love. Now that I have ONE son of my own, I am more in awe of how she managed what she did.
- Last killer workout you had? Thursday morning’s Yasso 800s. I did 8 x 800m at a 3:05 pace. Killer.
- Are you where you thought you’d be at this point in your life? No. I am well passed where I thought I would be – I didn’t plan on starting a family until down the road. My son was the best surprise of my life.
- Are you a Yankee fan or a Yankee hater? YANKEE FAN!!!
- Only one food for the rest of your life… what is it? Avocado. Love.
- Long hair or short hair? Long hair. Although my hair is up in a bun or ponytail 95% of the time!
- Where would you go if you could go anywhere? Tough question. Right now, I would say Italy. My husband and I went there a few years ago and I would love to go back.
- Do you pedicure in the winter? Yup! I love having my toenails painted (although I do them myself!)
- Do you like to work out alone or with friends? I am a solitary person when it comes to running.
- Favorite cartoon? I honestly can say I don’t watch cartoons. Ever.
Questions from Janine
- Truth or Dare? Dare – it’s more fun! =)
- What chore do you absolutely hate doing? Washing the dishes. My husband loves it, so we balance each other out.
- If you were reincarnated as an animal, what would it be? A dolphin – I’ve always loved them and would love to see what it’s like to live in the ocean.
- What celebrity do you look like? My husband tells me I look like Eva Longeria. Other than that, I don’t think I resemble any celebrity!
- What’s the best/worst gift(s) you’ve ever received? My mom’s cousins have allowed my husband, son, and I to stay in their 2 BR apartment (rent free) in order to save money while we looked for our 1st home. It was the best gift we could have received – we had no pressure in terms of move out-date, we had flexibility with timeline, and were able to save a large amount of money that will go as a down payment on our house!
- What’s the best part of waking up? I almost always get awoken to the sound of my 13 mo old son, AJ, in his crib…best way to start the day!
- Coffee, tea or beer? Coffee.
- Favorite Disney movie? Beauty and the Beast
- If you were invisible, where would you go? What would you do? Well invisible and dead? If that were the case, I’d love to go to my own funeral to see what it’s like. Sounds morbid, but I would want to see who came, what people were saying about me – and to make sure people were smiling and happy about my life rather than upset.
- What are you afraid of? Failing. I often don’t do things or take a chance because I’m too worried about not succeeding.
- What’s the next planned event in your life that you’re looking forward to? Moving into our 1st home – schedule closing date – March 12!!
1. What was the first race signed up for? When was it? Where was it? How did you do?
2. What is your favorite color?
3. Do you prefer to read stories and the training of elite runners or every day runners? Why?
4. Treadmill or dreadmill?
5. Gear junkie or Run Naked?
6. Is there an era of music that you prefer? Oldies? Classic Rock? 90s?
7. Coffee or Tea?
8. What is a childhood secret you never told your mom?
9. Favorite Olympic Summer sport to watch?
10. Favorite movie of all time?
11. Cake or Pie?