I am signed up for the NJ Marathon on May 5. I was registered last year, but deferred (for free!) when I became pregnant. This IS my target race for the spring. It’s a flat, fast course and I have big dreams of running sub-3:10. This is ultimately what all of my training will revolve around. I want all the races I choose to run to add to, not take away from, this goal.
But I have a dilemma. I am toying with the idea of running either a March marathon or half marathon as preparation for NJ in May. Here are my options:
- I would use this race as a test run before the NJ Marathon. Truth be told, I haven’t “raced” a marathon since Boston 2009 – that’s almost FOUR years!! I ran the NYC Marathon in Nov 2011, but had to run the first half with four other runners (it was at a pace much slower than I’m used to running) so I didn’t get the opportunity to push myself for the full 26.2 miles. I feel like using it as a test run could be a great idea – work out any issues I may have – fueling, water, clothes while also getting in the mindset of pushing for 26.2 miles.
- The NJ Marathon is 7 weeks after these two races, so there is plenty of time to rest/recovery, get a few good long runs, and taper again.
- This would require me to begin training NOW since the marathon is 15 weeks away. Am I ready to begin putting in the long runs necessary for this? I am not sure. I’m still having a hard time being away from my boys – even for short runs (unless they are asleep). And I’m not 100% sure I’m in the mindset of having long runs every single weekend.
Option B: Run a half marathon (maybe NYC Half?) mid-March
- This race could easily fit into my marathon training plan
- I have HUGE goals when it comes to the half (I want to take 3+ min off my previous PR of 1:34) so would love a chance to PR during marathon training
- The rest/recovery for this race would be much less than marathon (two weeks total as opposed to four) so I could focus on more long runs
- I wouldn’t have to start training for another few weeks (just after the holidays)
Part of me REALLY wants to run a marathon as soon as I can and I know I can definitely be ready by March. But I’m not sure if doing one that soon would actually hinder my goals for NJ Marathon as opposed to help them.
What are your thoughts?
Have you run marathons ~7 weeks apart? Did you feel rested and ready to race again?
re we connected???
- Twitter -> @NYCRunningMama
- Pinterest -> NYCRunningMama
- Instagram -> NYC Running Mama
- Facebook -> NYC Running Mama
We have over 200 runners from across the country (and world!) participating (and have raised over $8,100)!!