I was honored to be a member of PowerBar‘s Team Elite this past year and had the opportunity to try a ton of their products. PowerBar is going to give away some of my favorite products to two readers - just in time to kick off the new year and spring marathon training!
Energy Gels: Since my very first marathon in 2002, PowerBar Energy Gels have been my go-to refuel for long runs and races (Note: I’ve tried out a few other brands over the years, but have always come back to PowerBar’s gels). They have gotten me through long training runs, marathons, and my first ultra.
The energy gels provide the carbs and electrolyte of a high end sports drink and contain 4x the sodium of leading competitors. The gels are formulated with PowerBar C2MAX dual source energy blend, a 2:1 glucose to fructose blend found to deliver 20-50% more energy to muscles than glucose alone and improve endurance performance by 8% (source).
I can happily say that I’ve never cramped or had any sort of GI issues during a race – which I attribute to my use of energy gels. They come in 11 yummy flavors – some with caffeine (1x or 2x) and some without. My favorite flavors are Strawberry Banana, Green Apple, and Chocolate – they taste SO good and have just the right amount of caffeine! I typically take one right before a race and then every 5-6 miles (depending on how I feel/how fast I am running).
Energy Blasts: The energy blasts contain the same amount of sodium as energy gels and are also formulated with C2MAX (6 energy blasts = 1 Energy Gel). If you aren’t a fan of a gel consistency, this product may be a good option for you – the energy blasts are chewy (think gummi bear consistency) and have a liquid gel center. I typically only use the energy blasts as pre-run/race fuel since I don’t wear a belt or carry anything that could hold the blasts. The blasts come in four flavors: Cola, Lemon, Raspberry, and Strawberry Banana.
Recovery Bars: One area that I have focused on the past year is recovery. I often don’t have an appetite after a long/hard run and was in the habit of not eating much of anything until my appetite returned (sometimes hours later).
PowerBar Recovery bar is formulated with 30g of carbohydrates, key to kicking off glycogen restoration, optimally within 30–60 minutes after the end of your workout or event. It also contains quality protein to support muscle repair and fat to help restore muscle lipids depleted during endurance exercise.
The recovery bar was light enough on my stomach to eat about 30 minutes post run but heavy enough (260 calories and 10g fat) to keep me satisfied for a reasonable period of time. And the best part is the recovery period has decreased since I’ve started eating these. I feel fairly fresh and energized the day after a hard or long workout. These recovery bars currently come in two delicious flavors: Cookies n Cream Caramel Crisp and Peanut Butter Caramel Crisp.
Energy Bars: It’s become increasingly more difficult for me to make/find the time to make healthy snacks for myself. Most days I am looking for some sort of afternoon snack around 3-4pm. Enter Harvest Energy Bars and Nut Naturals Energy Bars. Each bar contains 10g protein and between 210-240 calories. They are the perfect portable snack that I can keep in my diaper bag, car, or in the kitchen. (All energy bars can be found here)
Two winners will receive a box of the following: (valued at $133 per person)
- Green Apple Energy Gels = 24 gel packs($32.76)
- Strawberry Banana Energy Blasts = 12 pouches ($23.28)
- Peanut Butter Caramel Crisp Recovery Bars = 15 bars ($23.85)
- Trail Mix Nut Naturals Energy Bars = 15 bars ($26.85)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bars = 15 bars ($26.85)
To Enter (mandatory): Leave a comment and tell me which product you are excited to try.
Other Ways to Enter (please leave a separate comment for each):
- Follow @PowerBar & @NYCRunningMama on Twitter(1 entry total)
- Follow NYC Running Mama on Instagram (1 entry)
- Like PowerBar & NYC Running Mama on Facebook (1 entry total)
- Tweet about the giveaway: “I just entered to win over $125 in @PowerBar products from @nycrunningmama! Enter to win here -> http://nycrunningmama.com/ #giveaway #runchat” (1 entry)
- Contest will run from Mon, Dec 31, 2012 through 11:59pm EST on Mon, Jan 7, 2013
- Winner will be selected and announced on NYC Running Mama on Tues, Jan 8, 2013
- Winner will receive five boxes of products from PowerBar valued over $125
- Winner has one week to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) before a follow-up winner is selected
- Winner will be chosen via random.org