After watching my Facebook page fill with status updates and photos of my fellow Staten Islanders as well as friends in NYC helping those affected by Hurricane Sandy last week, I knew that I needed to find a way to help. Logistically, it’s difficult for me to physically help – having an (almost) 2 year old and 7 week old (who doesn’t yet take the bottle) force me to stay home most of the time.
This past weekend, I had the idea of starting a virtual race. I emailed a bunch of running gear companies that I have had contact with in the past (and some I haven’t) as well as several friends who pulled some strings for me and several friends who have their own businesses. The response has been overwhelming. As of this morning, there are 40 prizes that can be won – worth over $2,500.
All updates will be posted to this page.
**NEW** For whoever donates (and/or collects on their own to donate here) the most amount of money, Runner’s World will award you with a Fantasy Day. Details are below!
**NEW**Race Bib now available for download
Please see the FAQ section at the bottom for any questions you may have!
How to participate: (Note: You MUST complete steps 1-4 to be eligible for a prize!)
- You MUST make a donation to be entered into the giveaway!!
- Minimum donation: $20 (this is your entry fee) – see giveaway details (below) for more information
- 100% of money goes towards the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund. This foundation is focusing it’s efforts on the NYC, Long Island, and NJ coastline – the areas most severely hit by Hurricane Sandy
- You do NOT have to create your own fundraising page. Just click “Donate” on the upper right portion of the donation page.
- Date: Saturday, December 8th (if you can’t run it on this day, you can run it before this date)
- Location: Wherever you want (your neighborhood, track, trail, treadmill)
- Distance: 5k or 10k (or both!)
- You can run, walk, bike the distance
- A huge thank you to Races2Remember for designing the Race Bib for this race
4. Complete the 5k and/or 10k
- Please take a picture of you w/ your bib the day of the race and tweet it to me (@nycrunningmama) or email it (email@example.com). I am going to do a results/summary post and will include you in it!
6. Cross your fingers that you are one of the winners!
- The minimum donation of $20 enters you into the giveaway
- For every $20 you donate, you will gain an additional entry into the giveaway (Ex: if you donate $60 or $75, you will have three total entries)
- For every $100 you donate, you will gain five additional entries for a total of TEN total entries
- Each winner will get to choose their prize (based on the order their name is selected and the prizes remaining).
- Your name can be chosen multiple times (and so you can win multiple prizes) if you choose to donate more than $20
- Grand Prize will be awarded to whoever donates / collects most money!!
- GRAND PRIZE – Runner’s World: Fantasy Day which includes tour of Runner’s World headquarters, run with Runner’s World crew, visit to the test closet (for a pair of shoes to take home), lunch in the cafe, and more (valued at ??) – 1 Grand Prize Winner (based on amount donated)
- Runner’s World: One year subscription to Runner’s World Magazine ($60) – 1 winner
- Brooks: Apparel + pair of shoes of your choosing ($240 / $730) – 3 winners (2 sets of women’s size small clothes, 1 set of men’s size large clothes)
Package 1 (Women’s): Infiniti Capri (grey/size S), Printed Mesh Cap (white and orange/one size fits all), D’Lite Mesh Tank (pink/size S) + pair of shoes
Package 2 (Women’s): Infiniti Capri (black and pink/size S), Printed Mesh Cap (white and orange/one size fits all), D’Lite Mesh Tank (pink/size S)
Package 3 (Men’s): Rogue Runner III Short (black and green/size L), Versatile Singlet (blue/size L), Hvac Infiniti Mesh Cap (blue/one size fits all)
- Saucony: Pair of shoes of your choosing ($150) – 1 winner
- Mizuno: Pair of shoes of your choosing ($150) – 1 winner
- Altra Zero Drop Footwear: Pair of shoes of your choosing ($105) – 1 winner
- Erica Sara Designs: Custom Engraved Necklace ($200) – 1 winner
- Swiftwick: Two pairs of socks + pair of arm sleeves ($49 each / $490) – 10 winners
- Sparkly Soul Headbands: Two headbands (1 thin and 1 wide) – choice of colors ($32 each / $64) – 2 winners
- Women’s Running: One year subscription to Women’s Running Magazine ($50 value) – 1 winner
- Blissful Eats: Six – 2 oz. servings of organic granola – choice of 2 flavors ($15) – 1 winner
- Believe I Am: Training Journal + Strong T-shirt ($55) – 1 winner
- Team Sparkle: Sparkle Skirt + race legs + visor ($62) – 1 winner
- PowerBar: Pack of gels + Box of Nut Naturals Trail Mix Bars ($60 each / $120) – 2 winners
- Foot Locker: $50 gift certificate ($50 each / $100) – 2 winners
- Healthy Bites: Assortment box ($10) – 1 winner
- Pro Compression: Pair of Compression Socks ($50) – 1 winner
- Oiselle: Pair of Roga Shorts ($44) – 1 winner
- Mile Stones: One set of race bib tile coaster ($22 ) – 1 winner
- AfterShokz Headphones: One set of headphones ($50) – 1 winner
If you have ANY questions about any the race, giveaway, or prizes OR would like to donate an item to the Race for Recovery 5k / 10k, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How will you know who donates money? The donation page is through crowdrise. It allows me to track all donations – so I will know who has donated (and how much has been donated by each person). I can also verify the amounts that are submitted on the race entry form.
- Are the giveaway winners based on fastest times? No – for two reasons. First, this isn’t a race to see who is fastest – it’s about raising money, so anyone who donates should be (and is) eligible to win a prize. Secondly, there is no way to verify the times that are submitted, so it would be unfair to award prizes that way
- Where does the money I donate go? I never see the money that is donated. The crowdrise site allows me to identify a charity and all money donated via my website goes directly to that charity.
- Twitter -> @NYCRunningMama
- Pinterest -> NYCRunningMama
- Instagram -> @NYCRunningMama or http://web.stagram.com/n/nycrunningmama/
- Facebook -> NYC Running Mama
Companies who donated items:
- Runner’s World: Twitter Facebook
- Races2Remember: Twitter Facebook
- Brooks: Twitter Facebook
- Saucony: Twitter Facebook
- Mizuno: Twitter Facebook
- Altra Zero Drop: Twitter Facebook
- Erica Sara Designs: Twitter Facebook
- Swiftwick: Twitter Facebook
- Sparkly Soul: Twitter Facebook
- Women’s Running: Twitter Facebook
- Blissful Eats: Twitter Facebook
- Believe I Am: Twitter Facebook
- Team Sparkle: Twitter Facebook
- PowerBar: Twitter Facebook
- Foot Locker: Twitter Facebook
- Healthy Bites: Twitter Facebook
- Pro Compression: Twitter Facebook
- Oiselle: Twitter Facebook
- Mile Stones: Twitter Facebook